OH MY GOD! I ALMOST DIED THEY'RE SO GOOD! Ha ha.
Now that I got that out there...
When I came up with the idea to make these, I thought it was surely going to be too much going on. I was sooooo wrong. They are perfect, with or without the lime glaze. The citrus in every part ties it all together really well. And, while these aren't the healthiest thing I've baked as of late... They were the most delicious! My dad gobbled down three at once and my mom literally licked her plate clean (it was kinda ridiculous). I want to eat at least a thousand of these right now... at least. Ha ha.
The best part was eating these cupcakes while watching Cupcake Wars on food network. Ha ha. So fun.
And, since facebook feedback seemed about equal between cake and tarts... I made extra blueberry filling to use in a Peach-Blueberry Tart that I plan to make in the next few days. :)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 pint blueberries
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
Orange Cupcake Batter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick Smart Balance 50/50 Blend
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cups vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup light soymilk
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
Zest of 1 small lime
Juice of two small limes
About 3 cups of powdered sugar
To prepare the Blueberry Filling:
1) Bring water and 1/2 cup OJ to a boil on medium heat.
2) Add orange zest, blueberries, and sugar and allow to simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes. I was terrible about keeping track of how long it was really there, but that sounds about right.
3) Mix cornstarch into remaining 1 tablespoon OJ until it is completely smooth and dissolved.
4) Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into blueberries.
5) Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 25 minutes (stir every 5 minutes or so).
6) I had to raise the heat back to medium for a bit to thicken up... But, basically, just watch the blueberries and when they've reached a thick, almost jelly like consistency, remove the filling from the heat.
To prepare Orange Batter:
Preheat Oven to 350*
1) Sift together dry ingredients.
2) In a separate bowl, beat together Smart Balance and sugar until smooth.
3) Beat in eggs one at a time.
4) Alternate adding flour mixture and yogurt/soymilk a little bit at a time.
5) Add in extract, OJ, and zest and mix just until all ingredients have been combined.
6) Prepare cupcake pan (or cute little bundtcake-like pans like I tried to use) by spraying with non-stick baking spray or lining with cupcake papers.
7) Spoon batter into pan only about 1/3 full.
8) Spoon blueberry filling into middle on top of batter.
9) Cover blueberries with some more battery goodness.
10) Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
To prepare Lime Glaze:
1) Zest lime into bowl.
2) Juice limes into the bowl (watch for seeds!)
3) Wisk in powdered sugar until smooth and sweet.
4) Drizzle over cooled cupcakes (or, as was the case with my parents and I, drizzle it on warm cupcakes... or just eat the cupcakes plain).
Now revel in the glory of these fruity treats. :)